- A major RFE/RL investigation of Russian Railways sheds light on how corruption functions at the highest level in Putin’s Russia.
- The U.S. formally accused Russia of hacking the Democratic Party and attempting to interfere in its elections. (Guardian)
- A new study suggests that Xi Jinping’s anti-graft campaign may be backfiring, as the party is perceived as more corrupt than ever. (FT)
- A former Yunnan Communist Party boss was given a suspended death sentence for corruption. (SCMP)
- The IMF says that tackling corruption must be a priority for Ukraine’s government. (Kyiv Post)
- Hungary’s main leftwing newspaper was allegedly closed down after revealing corruption allegations against a minister in Viktor Orban’s government. (Guardian)
- New from KI: Kleptocracy, Inc.: How America Enables Global Corruption. Kleptocracy is a major national security threat. Americans should demand an end to the anonymous companies which make it possible.
- 10/14: Hannah Thoburn, Brian Whitmore, and Angela Stent will discuss Consolidation and Control: Power Shifts in Putin’s Kremlin.
- 10/19: Join KI, the Lithuanian ambassador, and a distinguished panel to discuss The Threat of Kleptocracy: States Bordering the Russian Federation.
- 10/20: Journalist Ben Judah and KI will launch a major new report, The Kleptocracy Curse: Rethinking Containment.