The latest on KI’s website: Casey Michel interviews Zorka Milin, Senior Legal Advisor at Global Witness, about the trial of Teodoro Nguema Obiang Mangue (who is more colloquially known as the ‘man with Michael Jackson’s crystal-studded glove’).
- Trump faces renewed scrutiny of the riches that flowed into his real estate empire from the former Soviet Union after a fixer for a Kazakh family accused of pumping dirty money into U.S. property agreed to assist an international investigation into his former business partners.
- How Paul Manafort helped buy Washington influence for Yanukovych using an obscure think tank in conjunction with two Washington lobbying firms.
- Three years ago, the poorest country in Europe was nearly bankrupted by a massive bank heist. Secretive Scottish companies were found to be at the heart of the scam – so is action coming?
- Latvian bank fined $91 million over laundering scheme in France.
- In an apparent breach of EU sanctions, electricity turbines made by Germany’s flagship firm Siemens have been delivered to power plants in Crimea.
- The EU agreed to offer Moldova 100 million euros in economic aid–provided it steps up anti-corruption efforts.
- A new multinational center to coordinate law enforcement action against grand corruption, The International Anti-Corruption Coordination Centre, launched today; it is hosted by the UK’s National Crime Agency, and brings together specialist law enforcement officers from multiple jurisdictions into a single location to tackle allegations of grand corruption.